August 8, 2009

Mosquito Fogging

Today my neighbourhood was scheduled to be fogged. This is usually done when a number of people have occurred dengue fever in the neighbourhood. The fogging is intentionally scheduled on weekends when people are most likely at home, not busy working thus leaving the house empty.

I find this very troublesome because then I can't sleep in. Usually the fogging takes place before 9 o'clock in the morning, otherwise it would be less effective in killing the mosquitoes (this is according to my mom, haven't checked out this info).

The sound of the fogging device is quite loud and the "fog" has a disturbing aroma. Usually it takes about half an hour for the air to clear before we can go inside the house again.

But then comes the hard part.
We have to put back in place all the food-related utensils which we stowed away, change the bed sheets, and clean the floors (there is usually a thin layer of residue).

So much for a relaxing Saturday... but at least this night, I can sit in front of the computer without having to slap away too many mosquitoes...

Dark "smoke" fills the house...if you go inside, it's dificult to see anything

Left : The "fogging man" in action, Right : Filling up the device

3 comments:

Matt said...

I remember being fogged when I was last in Indonesia. It was a horrible smell. Any ideas on what it is they actually use?

Fitri - saya turis... said...

I don't know...hmm...it would've been interesting to ask. While I was taking the photographs, my neighbours were teasing me....it is such a common thing in Indonesia, I guess they were wondering why I was busy clicking away....

Matt said...

I looked it up online it seems typically they are pyrethrins which are actually derived from the plant Chrysanthemum cinerariaefolium of which the majority of the worlds supply comes from Kenya.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...