December 8, 2008

Rambutan - the "hairy" fruit

I recently read in the newspaper that Barack Obama misses several Indonesian delicacies : Nasi goreng, Bakso and Rambutan. Well, he better hurry up because it is currently the harvest season for rambutan!

Rambutan is a fruit the size of a golf ball. The skin is "hairy", thus its name "rambutan" (rambut=hair). When it is ripe, the skin's colour turns from green to red. It then has a very sweet taste. However, there is a kind of rambutan that is known for its sweet taste eventhough it is still yellowish : Rambutan Rapia.

Luckily, I have a Rambutan Rapia tree in my backyard and since it is rambutan season, today we were plucking away!

Left : Hanging on the trees; Right : Hitting the branches with a bamboo stick so that the fruit falls down

Rambutan rapia has thicker hair compared to other types of rambutan


To eat the fruit, you must open the skin. Opening the skin can be done just by using your hands

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wah...I miss good tropical fruit. Those look so good. We get rambutan here in the States on occasion but they are never as good as the fresh that I had while in Indonesia. How fortunate that you have a whole tree in your backyard.

Fitri - saya turis... said...

yup, we've got so many delicious fruits here. maybe i can send you some while you can send me beautiful parks + fresh clean air? ;)

Anonymous said...

It seems like a kind of fruity hair tutorial right here. I also have that tree in Bandungan, but never thought to provide it as one of my blog topic.

Nice... and now i missed my hometown, salatiga.

Anonymous said...

@Fitri - would love to send some beautiful parks and fresh air. Everyone deserves that and here in Oregon we have plenty. In fact this weekend they are predicting snow and temperatures around -8C. It will be a good weekend to stay inside and eat rambutan. :)

Crey said...

hairy fruit appeared from outside, but totally bald inside... hehehehe..

Fitri - saya turis... said...

@Ara : Got your message, just tell me when your new website is up :)

@Matt : I miss winter!

@Crey : Lol...never thought of it like that..

dea said...

good tropical fruit. Those look so good

Fitri - saya turis... said...

yes...they're yummmyyy

Unknown said...

to my understanding is rambutan rapia, smaller and hair is shorter..but nicer and sweeter...less juicier...I don't think that the pics in here is from Rambutan Rapia..
but could be wrong..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...